Sunday, February 14, 2010

Workouts

Swim: 12,000 yards
Pullups: 50
Situps: 100
Pushups: 100

Why am I posting this? I am training for a open water swim in Chattanooga this summer, the River Rat Race. What do pullups, pushups, etc have to do with swimming? A lot more than I thought.

It all started last summer while at a playground with Patty and the kids. I tried to go across the monkey bars and succeed at impressing my wife. My attempt at demonstrating my prowess on the playground was rudely interrupted when I fell off after two rungs...

Now that my pride bruised, I had to do something to reclaim any dignity that was lost. I began a challenge with a good friend.

50 pull-ups, 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups EVERY day for 3 months.

The first day I could do 3 pull-ups (only the first 3) in a row and I spent about 1.5 hrs in the gym to complete said task. Every day that I miss I need to buy David (challenger) lunch. Well 3 months later, I finished by doing 24 pull-ups in a row.

When I finally did get back in the pool in December after being out a year, I could tell a difference with my strokes. So pull-ups are now included in the workout, though this week was pretty weak.

Josiah learning to dive.

0 comments: